The Chatham Chorale
Minutes of Board Meeting, August 21, 2018
Present: Lynn Herbst, Betsy Ferris, Bill Leigh, Tom Philips, August Viekman, Pat Antonucci, Mary Giorgio, Mary Jo Nabywaniec, Cindy O’Leary, Kathy Olsen, Elaine Wiley, Gene Sink, Joe Marchio.
Absent: Christine Vancisin, Joe Mongelli.
1. Meeting called to order by President Tom Philips at 7:00 p.m.
2. Election of Board Clerk: MOTION. A motion was made to approve Mary Jo Nabywaniec as Board Clerk. VOTED/APPROVED.
3. Clerk’s Report: MOTION. A motion to approve the Clerk’s report of the Minutes of the Board Meeting of July 17, 2018. After corrections it will be posted on the Member Website. VOTED/APPROVED.
4. Treasurer’s Report. August Viekman reported that the month of August was a quiet month, as is usually the case. Tom Philips mentioned that a few of the proceeds from the Summer Sing were not as yet reflected in this month’s report. MOTION. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s Report. VOTED/APPROVED.
5. Music Director’s Report.
(a) Joe reported that Anne Seeley’s memorial service will be held on September 15 at Dennis Union Church at 2:00 pm.
(b) Rehearsal schedules for the year have been sent to members.
(c) September’s Symphony concert (for us) is only one song.
(d) The September 20th rehearsal @ 7:00 pm will include everybody and be held at the Barnstable High School chorus room.
(e) Joe reported that our 50th season coincides with the 300th anniversary of the First Congregational Church of Chatham. We will probably plan some joint concerts.
(f) Mark Prall will be assisting with orchestra contracting for the April concert only.
6. President’s Report.
(a) Tom Philips presented a report on the Summer Sing provided by Marilyn Schlansky. We had around 90 people participating for “Carmina Burana.”
(b) Joe Marchio suggested that we plan another Superbowl Messiah Sing and a Summer Sing for the next summer.
(c) Our November Board Meeting will be at the First Congregational Church of Chatham on November 13th instead of the 20th.
(d) Cindy O’Leary reported that the Section Leaders remain the same this year.
(e) Tom Philips reported on new appointments: Kathy Wimberly will be the Mentor Coordinater, Jamie Forster is in charge of Scrapbooking, Mary Giorgio will be responsible for contracts with instrumentalists and vocal soloists and contacts with our insurance companies, and Alice Kelley heads the new Sunshine Committee.
7. Committee Reports:
- Membership and auditions: Cindy reported that 8 active members still need to audition. Our roster would be 88 members if they audition successfully: 20 Sopranos, 35 Altoes, 11 Tenors and 22 Basses. We will have three guest singers joining us for the October concerts. The rehearsal seating chart begins during our second rehearsal.
- Tickets: Pat Antonucci reported that she and Margot Karbel checked out each of our concert venues. Faith Little has worked extensively on the brochure and she will work with Eventbrite to obtain more addresses for our database. Cindy O’Leary suggested we “mine” the old fruit lists for more mailing addresses. Mary Jo Nabywaniec worked with Minuteman Press for the printing of our tickets for the year.
- Development. We have received a grant of $2,500 from The Melody Tent/South Shore Music Circus.
- Promotion: Lynn Herbst reported that the brochure goes to the proofreaders on August 27. The Program Book will feature “Sidelights” on Laura Barabe, Dave Reed, Liz Cross and Marilyn and Gene Sink, with photographs by Janet Robertson and Gene Sink. The season poster will go to Bill Leigh for the website and ads will go to Raif Bassett for the program book. Lynn reminded us that we made $6,000 on the programs last year.
- Contracts: Mary Giorgio will confirm schedule arrangements for the venue for the Benefit Concert.
- Webmaster: Bill will mount the large season poster for use in various displays.
8. Financial Report to Members. Tom Philips was authorized to share a financial report with our members in order to keep the membership aware of our financial status. We need to continue to emphasize that all members can contribute to our financial health.
9. Member Handbook
(a) MOTION. A motion was made to approve the Member Handbook with the discussed changes. VOTED/APPROVED
(b) MOTION. A motion was made to form a working group to develop a job description for each committee. VOTED/APPROVED. Tom Philips has appointed Elaine Wiley and Joe Mongelli to this working group.
10. Job Fair. Because of scheduling difficulties, we will not try to conduct a Job Fair this fall. Instead Tom Philips will send Committee chairs the information on member interests from our Experience and Interest Survey.
11. 50th Season Celebrations. Ideas added to the list:
A banner on display that we’re celebrating our 50th during our concerts.
Drawing and award tickets to a future concert.
Collage of photos of members and old brochures
Develop a theme.
12. Adjourn at 8:49 pm
Respectfully submitted: M. J. Nabywaniec